Skip to main content

Adoption: Not A Better Life, Just A Different One

Adoption promised me a better life. A promise upon which it did not deliver. For me, and so many adoptees out there, both adult and minor, adoption is a crapshoot that didn't or isn't work(ing) out for us. 

Since it is a common deflection, let's address the crapshoot that is biological family for a moment so we can establish that is not the same set of challenges once and for all. No, we do not choose who we are born to, any more than we are given a choice about being adopted. Yes, the people we are born to can be just as challenging and cruel as an abusive adopter. 

Now consider for a moment, these facts on top of those inherent challenges.

1. The alteration of my identity completed at an age by which I was cognizant of my identity (i.e. Julie means me) and not old enough to understand why I was suddenly surrounded by strangers who called me by some strange name I didn't understand.

2. The alteration of my birth certificate and vital records, and the sealing of the originals. For those of you who don't know, my adoptress is listed on my birth certificate as the woman who gave birth to me. My legal birth certificate is a lie, and the original, accurate certificate sealed in a file I do not have access to.

3. Adoptees are commonly institutionalized in group homes (at rates 30%-40% higher than kept children). These are not healthy environments for traumatized young people.

4. Adopted people are four times as likely to attempt suicide as kept children.

5. Adoptees are over represented in lockup facilities. Adoptees make up only 2-4% of the population as a whole, but make up 35-45% of the population in lockup facilities.

6. Adoptees are often pathologized, especially with diagnoses such as RAD. While a genuine diagnosis, usually applied to the more sociopathic of displaced and traumatized children, it has become disturbingly commonly applied to the adopted child. Instead of describing a child's ability to form healthy attachments, it has become a way to blame adoptees who: act out because of unacknowledged, untreated trauma, and cannot force a biological bond with a nonbiological caregiver.

7. Adoptees do not know where we came from. In most cases, the only people we can be absolutely certain we AREN'T related to are our adoptive families. 

8. Many, I dare assert most, adoptees are intimately aware from very young ages that we don't fit in or really belong where we are. This causes an intense amount of internal discord and dissonance that only displaced children can understand.

These are only a few of the challenges I do not share with kept children, that they cannot really wrap their minds around. So no biological deflections.

No. Adoption promises a better life. That's what it says on the pretty billboards and shiny websites. "Are you in a crisis pregnancy? Choose adoption, the loving option! You can choose a perfect family to give your baby a better life! Come be a birthmother today!" Adoption promised I wouldn't go hungry or live in a broken home. Adoption promised I wouldn't live in poverty or be abused. Adoption promised me good parents that would provide me with a college education. Adoption promised me, all of us, more and better. Promises upon which, for so many of us, it DID NOT DELIVER. And if we were adopted on the promise, and the promise was broken, WHY were we adopted again?

One failure to provide the Better Life we were promised is a failure of adoption itself and the entire system. A thousand happy adoptive families do not excuse or justify the suffering or maltreatment of one single adopted person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dismissive Language: Tone Policing and Other Damaging Habits

Dismissive tactics are fairly well understood, especially in social justice and debate circles. In the adoption arena, however, these tactics take on a willful blindness and venom which is truly disturbing. Let's explore some of the most commonly used phrases. "Not all adoptions are the same." "What if the mother won't parent?" "Well what do you suggest, then?" "I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but..." Really, I could fill a blog with "phrases commonly used to dismiss anyone who has anything negative to say about adoption" but I won't waste my time or yours reiterating that familiar drivel. We all know the phrases. We've all been told we "just had a bad experience".  We all have experience with those that dismiss because they don't like our tone. Dismiss being the key word. Phrases like "not all...", "what if...", angry, bitter, bad experience, and "can't we all

"I Wish I Was Adopted"

No. No, you really don't. Non-adopted person, listen to me and listen good. You do NOT wish you were adopted. If you knew what it feels like to be adopted and aware, you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. Adoption is trauma and abuse of a voiceless infant. Whatever the circumstance, we are torn from our families and thrown to strangers. We scream and protest until we are quite literally broken. And we carry that break in us for the rest of our lives. I'm just going to assume that those of you who wish you were adopted percieve yourselves to have been abused or mistreated in some way by your family. Funny, I was abused and mistreated by my family too, and I WAS adopted. Beaten? Me too, and I was adopted . Verbally abused? Me too, and I was adopted. Molested and raped? Me too, and I was adopted. Sounds pretty well the same to me. Until you add in the distinct disadvantage of developmental trauma. Until you add in massive loss and fear of abandonment. Until you a

Biology Matters

Inability to accept a universal truth does not render it false. Closing your eyes and refusing to admit the tree is in front of you won't stop you from running into it. I can now say with definite certainty that the biological imperative is real and not to be belittled or diminished. Sense memory is real and palpable. Family is NOT about love. Family IS about DNA. DNA does, in fact, matter, regardless of what any adoption agency, counselor, or adoptive parent might tell you. These are lies they tell to obscure the realities of adoption and to make it more palatable. Some of them actually believe it. We didn't grow in their bellies, and this "growing in their hearts" nonsense is absolutely insufficient. DNA matters. The connection to and from DNA matters. We don't have to love them. We don't have to like them. We don't have to have contact. The connection matters. Families are fucked up. Your sister hates your brother and everyone only tolerates mom. Da